It's (Medically) Complicated!
Recommended for: Entire Staff | Subject: Pharmacology | CE Credits: 3
Dental professionals must frequently draw upon their knowledge of pharmacology for optimal care of today’s medically complex dental patients. However, pharmacology often represents only a small portion of most dental degree programs. Armed with relatively brief exposure to this vast subject, many dental professionals simply cannot keep up with the latest trends in disease state management. This comprehensive program explores the dental implications of prescription medications, non-prescription medications, herbal products, nutritional supplements, and substances of abuse most frequently used by patients. Participants receive this essential information in a format that is not only practical and applicable but also highly entertaining for the entire dental team.
- Identify the prescription medications most frequently encountered on a patient’s medical history and discuss their indications for use, adverse reactions, and impact on dental therapy.
- Discuss the non-prescription medications most often used by dental patients and explain their impact on dental therapy, including situations that preclude their use.
- Explore the most popular herbal products and nutritional supplements and discuss their purported uses and dental considerations.
- Know the most common substances of abuse and describe their oral manifestations and dental treatment considerations.
- Discover techniques for identifying and managing self-medicating and substance-abusing patients.