Hey, Spit Happens!
Recommended for: Entire Staff | Subject: Pharmacology | CE Credits: 3
Well over 500 prescription and non-prescription medications have xerostomic side effects, which are compounded when these medications are used concomitantly, as is often the case for our medically complex patients. In addition, little attention is given to those systemic diseases which contribute to the development of xerostomia, and the exacerbation of its complications.
This program will provide participants with an overview of xerostomia, medications used in its management and the impact of both the disease and its treatment on dental therapy. Using case scenarios, special emphasis will be given to developing patient management strategies and techniques essential for successful treatment planning, and proper care of, patients with xerostomia.
- Describe xerostomia and explain its various etiologies.
- Describe the oral and non-oral complications associated with xerostomia.
- Identify the prescription and non-prescription medications that have xerostomic side effects.
- Identify the systemic diseases which may contribute to the development of xerostomia.
- Describe the pharmacologic and nonpharmacologic management of xerostomia.
- Explain the impact of xerostomia, and the medications used in its treatment, on dental therapy.