Become a Hero of Dentistry and Solve the Dry Mouth Mystery
CE Credits: 3 Hour Lecture | Subject: Dry Mouth/Xerostomia | Recommended for: All Attendees
We know that Xerostomia is not a disease but it is often not discussed or masked by the next dry mouth product. However, Xerostomia is a serious condition that is annoying and uncomfortable and is usually caused by a disease or underlying condition. It affects your patient’s quality of life while speaking, eating, or even trying to sleep. Hypo-salivation can damage the hard and soft tissues of the mouth while presenting a clinical challenge in the operatory! 25% of your patients suffer from this terrible affliction and age is not a cause of having a dry mouth. Xerostomia is more common in the older adult population but is not necessarily an inevitable part of aging. This course will turn you into a dry-mouth superhero! You will be able to teach patients reasons why they suffer from dry mouth, intra-oral problems associated with it, and management options available to make your patients more comfortable managing their symptoms.
- List the oral and non-oral symptoms reported by patients suffering from Xerostomia.
- Discuss the causes of Xerostomia and understand the components and functions of saliva.
- Explain the clinical signs of salivary gland hypo-function.
- Discuss management options for educating patients and improving their quality of life.
- Identify successful treatment options and products available.